Sunday, January 11, 2009

My Mother's idea of a healthy meal (no, I'm not on a diet!)

Eat, eat and eat! That's the way to spend one's holidays. That's the recipe for celebrating any possible occasion. New year, Christmas, birthdays, Slava, anniversary, just name it. Sit down, eat, drink, eat and eat more.
And so this holiday season, that's nearly come to its end, has been a difficult one - for my stomach, that is. And that is why I sorely needed a break. So today, I decided to eat lightly.

These were my instructions: I want vegetables, just boiled with some salt, no add-ones, no meat, just veggies. Carrots - OK, peas - jummy, cauliflower - perfect! And a soup - just mix all the cooking waters and it will be great. And here's what I got:

Soup without anything inside it? Inadmissible! So I got a soup full of overcooked noodles, mushy and partly disintegrated.

Vegetables boiled with only some salt? Too plain, too boring. So the vegetables were boiled with added allspice.

Myself: "They are almost done, cold you please remove them from the stove in 2 minutes?"
Mom: "Sure!"
... half an hour later ...
Mom: "Do you think that they are done? Should I remove them from the stove already?"
Myself: "Argh!"
The peas were too soft, cauliflower molten.

Mom: "Well, if you insist, here are your boiled vegetables, but I really think you should eat something solid with it. Do you like the flavor? Hope you do because I just poured some grease over it and fried them a bit..."

No comments: